Friday, March 1, 2013

frying tea

This excitement is different. New flat. Old and strangely familiar country is my new one. New colleagues, my team is amazing. the frying kettle While I am posting this, the my new washing machine is taking its first spins. The new frying pans takes over for the kettle and tea pot being on their way to my new home. Living in the United Kingdom is colourful, everyday life is as everywhere else. Work and week end alternate. My friends have shown their true and beautiful colours. My language skills have shown me that everyday life leaves me speechless, literally. I learn work top, chaps, frying pan, landing, washer dryer, a stone as a unit of measurement, the thingies equally applicable to walls and floor: tiles. Don't say mob when you mean bullying. Do say apologies a hundred times (which my nearest and dearest recognize as innate already). Currently, the word grooming is politically incorrect. Learn the nuances of saying no even though you are not using the actual words. Flirt shamelessly outside the office. Drive people nuts with your German accent. Don't ever cut the line. In Cambridge, cycling is fun, but tends to have cyclists on edge. enjoy driving a car on the wrong side. Find the nuances of pastries, sweets, dessert and all the forbidden things. Don't get me started on Indian food, yummy! Re discover old friends. Enjoy the joy of having them here or visit them in London. The German word Pudding translates into dessert. Custard translates into the German word for pudding. When in doubt curse in Spanish. Enjoy chatty taxi drivers. Make new friends with really helpful people at the bank, a shop that lost and found shoes for you, a muffins stand in the Arcade. Meet your hair dresser in the bus. Be careful, as everywhere, but probably even more here, to avoid people who talk too much about class. Be happy about super helpful people. avoid the grumpy ones. For the moment, a big hug to all of you out there. Bridget

1 comment:

Coll said...

thanks for this! love it :)