Friday, October 15, 2010

impressions

business travelling is weird. overrated at some point. impressive in the sense of the word. it can make you smile from the inside of a taxi in Milano. I like buying stuff like tooth paste or make-up remover from wherever I am. Whenever I come back home, those things make me wonder, that some women in Paris might have bought this special thing. Her bathroom smelling of lavender and perfume. or the hand-sanitizer for a family. Or the toothbrush that might have landed in a yuppie´s household.
It is so random whom buys what and carries it with them.

One of the worst things are hotels. One can have really bad luck with them. Fortunately, for myself best western upwards already shields me from this. Or the moment you realize you have to stay sometimes which wasn´t planned, like yesterday evening somewhere in Europe. And hours after that realization, I was starving, needed a simple t-shirt and a few other items and the guy in the shop wouldn´t let me in, even though I was begging him to allow me two minutes only (it was 21:55 and they would close at 22:00). I should not be talking to people when I am hungry, seriously.

One of the things I like most is taxi driving. And getting to meet customers living in a different town, a different country. Their language, their approach on business that can be so challengingly different from mine.

The languages. An overseas colleague whose joke reminds me of a joke a friend told me on this side of the pond. Sharing the power supply in the train. Realizing that the train from time to time does not supply electricity.

the moment I come home and it feels I have been away for ages. but by the order of things I remember what I thought when I put them where they are. Sam, elephant-the-gift and candystick sitting on the floor.

2 comments:

Robert B said...

Hi -

I've traveled on business on several occasions during my career. In general, I don't like it because it means I am away from my home, friends, and family. Also, I am actually working and have little time for seeing the local sights. The past 10-years I worked for a company that encouraged teleconferences and web meetings. Now, I am with a company that wants a lot of face to face. Therefore, I am headed for Toronto the week of thanksgiving holiday. Woo hoo!

Like you, I've observed that the items available for sale are so different depending on the culture selling them. It's just hard to explain. You have to see it.

My most interesting taxi experience was in Taipei. I speak chinese so communicating was not an issue. But everything is a negotiation there. By the way, it is amazing how far you can go in a taxi in Taiwan for just a few dollars.

Bridgeta said...

Hi,
Taipei, seriously? Wow, I haven´t made it that far yet on business travels. The most distant one was Houston so far.

Sorry to hear that you are going to be out on Thanksgiving, it´s a nice tradition to have.

Have fun out there, even though travelling from airport to the conference room doesn´t seem like it!