Thursday, January 15, 2009

Almudena Grandes and Pio Baroja

Dear all,

train riding might have its perks. one of them is reading books. If I am lucky, my day starts with Emilia, after showering and tea, rushing out and continue with my book in the train. Since spanish makes me happy, I went through a pile of books from school and later buys in Spain so I can wrap my head around all of it. The reading started a couple of months ago, including Gabito, Mario Vargas Llosa, Pablo Neruda...

At the moment, I am reading two books, depending on the bag I have with me. So, Almudena Grandes because years ago I saw an interview with her and her vibrant personality made me be curious about her books. And the fact that I had missed the train and I had the wrong - empty - bag with me (there is a book shop in the station). There is a story about a tailor who makes the uniforms for toreros and another one about a musician. Vibrations about Madrid, ah! An air that changes when the tailor hands out that uniform, when the glorious moment and happiness converts the new owner into somebody who might fear what will happen once he wears it outside its cradle. But it is not written spooky, to me it feels like describing a fascinating kind of bravery and an attitude and having chosen a profession I cannot understand.

And Pio Baroja. That book has been gathering dust here for ages, I think my brother must have read it in school since I cannot recall the content myself. I opened the it and was intrigued, it speaks from my heart. Written by somebody who lived until the 60s.

Can´t decide which bag will be better for tomorrow´s train ride.

I will let you know.

Hugs and happiness,
B

No comments: